Saturday, December 13, 2008

Do Brands Belong on Twitter?

Mashable asks whether brands should be on Twitter. I answer this with a resounding "YES"! And I'm not the only person who feels this way. In fact, Warren Sukernek replies to the posting by saying,

"There are several brands (we all have our favorites like Zappos, Comcast, HR Block) that have done a fantastic job of engaging their customers on Twitter. Furthermore, in a recent survey of 240 Twitter users on brand perception, most users (89%) agreed that brands should engage their customers on Twitter. The majority also had a better impression of brands that use Twitter for customer service (81%). And if brands were not on Twitter, the monetization opportunities would be limited to advertising and users fees. Clearly, unacceptable options for many.
So banning brands from Twitter would be a big mistake in my opinion. - Huge!"

I couldn't agree more. I feel getting companies involved helps increase the quality and credibility of conversation online; however, companies must be transparent and engaging. I do not want a brand simply posting information on Twitter. I expect to be able able ask questions and get answers!

2 comments:

Warren said...

Ron,

Thanks for picking up my Mashable comment and expanding on it. Obviously, I agree with you and wrote my own post as well. There is definitely a place for authentic/ transparent brands to stregthen relationships with their customers on Twitter.

Thanks,

@warrenss

Ronald Coyle said...

Anytime, and thanks for the comment. I'll add you to my blogroll.