Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Ford Edge Commercial Too Much Like GM Flying Cars



Now don't get me wrong. I like Ford. In fact, I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Ford Explorer. However, I see to many similarities between the Ford Edge commercial and GM's Flying Cars. I have listed three main similaries below.

1. Both commercials show cars off the ground
2. Both commercials focus on exterior shots primarily
3. Both commercials focus on the ease of traveling with one of their vehicles

I don't like the fact Ford had to think that the Edge needed to be off the ground to send the right message. Overall, I like Ford's marketing strategy for the Ford Edge. They have enlisted several hip-hop stars in an attempt to attract 30-sometings. Unfortunately, Ford needs to make sure its commercials don't resemble GM's if it wants to differentiate itself.

In addition, I find it very interesting that both commercials show off the exterior features (i.e. design). However, I do feel Ford placed slightly more emphasis on presenting interior quality and comfort.

The third and final point I'd like to make illustrates how both brands show the ease of travel when driving one of their commercials. It is important to note that both brands made this point in different ways. GM focused on the speed of getting to where you need to be by showing its cars flying. In contrast, Ford showed that it provides a more comfortable ride when going from point A to B. This eludes to why I feel Ford place a little more emphasis on the interior compared to GM.

Overall, it looks like Ford is positioning the Ford Edge to be an affordable, comfortable ride with and edge (no pun intended). Likewise, it should be able to compete with the Chevy Equinox and Nissan XTerra very easily. Ford has always been known for building high quality SUVs. I may even go out on a limb and say it may compete as a lower cost alternative to the Lexus RX. However, Ford will have to place much more emphasis on comfort and quality if it ever plans to go in that direction.

No comments: